I will survive

Today I came across an article entitled, "How to survive today if you're single". I love Valentine's day as much as the next gal when I'm coupled up, but I can survive just fine on this day if I'm single too.

In fact, had I not come across this caption, I wouldn't have even realized there was a reason I needed a staying-alive guide. What with all the ice and snow, I've had more important things on my mind.

So, in an angry huff I clicked on the article to discover that in order to wake up unharmed tomorrow morning I need to listen to some Nine Inch Nails (eh?), avoid trawling the streets for a last minute date (good thing I'm not in that kind of business, seeing as how cold it is), and send a card to my mom. The last point I can agree with, although I fail to see how it's going to keep my pulse going.

I haven't been single on V-day for a long time, but even so I have no overwhelming urges to throw myself off the Key Bridge. To be honest I've had one or two pangs of longing for a special person to share this day with - but nothing more affecting than what I feel on other special occasions. I just wish I didn't see signs everywhere urging me to lament my singleness.

So, though I won't be listening to unnecessarily loud music or begging strangers to take me out, I'll be doing the things that keep me alive everyday: reading, taking a long hot bath, maybe catching a movie, definately catching up with my loved ones.

No comments: