“Oops, I fucked up. Please forgive me”

What an immature way to live your life! Don’t get me wrong, I’m far from perfect – but at least I don’t operate is if I have a built in error margin. There are certain things in life you can pretty much predict will not have good outcomes so it makes no sense to me to go on with them.

It’s even worse when the mistakes you make involve hurting other people. Sure, in your close relationships you should expect a fair amount of forgiveness, but at what point do your actions go from innocent to being callous. It’s not hard to gage what someone’s reaction is going to be, so not taking into consideration their feelings is not just dumb – it’s mean. Why spend your energy asking for forgiveness when you could just as easily avoid the things that will hurt them.

On a related note: I hate excuses. I hate excuses so much that even when I have a valid one it takes a lot for me to say it. I’d much rather NOT do something that requires one. People who constantly have to excuse their behavior are just not responsible.

The worst is that when you care about someone – you want nothing more than to accept their explanations, to go back to being ok. But each time you go through this cycle, it breaks you down a little, takes a little of the magic away from the relationship. For me at least, it’s not a viable way to be with someone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

At some point, the person's credibility breaks down and it becomes a growing leap of faith to believe in them. Without even having to lie - they've told you an untruth by asking you to trust that things would be ok.

Anonymous said...

The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.
- William James

Maria said...

Why is that once you loose something with someone... no matter how hard you try... it's never ever the same?

It's not viable for me either... yet something inside of me... keeps making me try to fix it only to be dissapointed again and again.

Thank you for pointing it out to me...

All the best,
M

PS>.. love love love your book list!